Sunday, April 27, 2014

Does strength training make you bulkier and gain weight?

Hi there, this is Jonathan Clark from Lose Weight For Scotland – it’s my mission to Crush Obesity, Add Years To Your Life & help you to Look Good Naked!  I challenge Scots to lose 10 lbs of fat or gain 10 lbs of muscle, even if they’ve tried everything else, and it’s guaranteed.  One of the questions I get asked all the time is  Does strength training make you bulkier and gain weight?

All the Experts say: Not really, but it depends on your body type. “If you tend to be a person who bulks up easily, you might want to try higher reps with lighter weights,”   In my experience, if I can be really honest with you, people who ask that question -  Does strength training make you bulkier and gain weight? - are just trying to put off exercising.



Bulking up is actually much harder to do than losing fat.  Have you seen what a pound of fat looks like?  [PIC] Compare that to a pound of muscle.   [PIC] (think of all the grunting body builders do when they workout!), most women shouldn't worry about it. Actually women's estrogen levels make bulking up harder for them, while testosterone in men makes it easier to build muscle mass in them, so it’s different for each.  

That’s why you get diet plans for women specifically, and you get websites that are clearly geared for men.  What you really need is a programme tailor made for you specifically, because your body is unique.  If you’re anything like me, there will be bits you’re happy to show off, and bits even your partner hasn’t seen for years!  But imagine if you could stand in front of the mirror in your bare buff, and actually like what you see?

Now, if you’re a lady who tends to put on muscle easily you might want to skip typical leg strengthening exercises like squats, lunges and leg presses. Let your cardio program be your leg strengthening routine, because it’s enough to build muscle and will help you lose weight

The thing to remember is that strength training has far more benefits than drawbacks when it comes to weight loss. In other word, every adult should try to build some lean muscle.  Most important is the fact that muscles burn more calories than body fat does at a resting heart rate. “The more muscle on your body the more calories your body burns through every day at rest,” “Adding more muscle to your body is going to increase daily metabolism or daily calorie burn, tighten and tone your flabby bits, and make you feel better and more confident cos you start to get your sexy back J

But building lean muscle takes a lot more e ffort than losing fat, and it takes a lot more food!  To get big you’ve got to eat a whole lot more calories, and good calories at that!  If you’re trying to burn fat, you’ve got it way easier than I have.  See, I’m an ectomorph, which means tall and slim.  I’ve spent most of my life trying to add muscle, and it’s only in the last year that I’ve managed to add 10 lbs onto my body.  But at the same time I lost 7 lbs of fat, especially around my middle.  If you want to know how I did it, get my guide at http://www.loseweightforscotland.com.


But here’s one final point I want to make.  If you weighed 20 stone but looked like Jennifer Lopez, would you care?  See in working with people on weight and body issues for over 20 years, one thing I’ve learned is that people care more about the inches than the scales.  They care more about their shape and figure than they do the numbers on the scales.  So I recommend you focus more on your body shape and your waist measurement than what it says at your feet.


Did This Help You? If so, I would greatly appreciate if you commented below and shared on Facebook




If you enjoyed this post, share and comment please...

No comments: